Assemblyman Greg Ball (R, C, I – Patterson) announced the launch of his “Pass the Plan: Enforce the Law” initiative with a press conference to commend the efforts South Side Grille owner Marc Anthony has made to eliminate driving while intoxicated (DWI).
“Lives are suddenly and brutally shattered when selfish and criminal drivers are drunk behind the wheel. It is time to get serious about preventing DWI and punishing drunk drivers. More stringent punishments should scare drunk drivers off the road. If you put lives at risk, you will be held responsible,” Ball said.
“Marc has stepped up to do the right thing. Now its time for the government to step up.” Ball added. Anthony has launched a one of a kind program providing patrons with pick-up service from their homes to his tavern and a return ride home. The program has provided over 500 rides since its inception.
Ball’s initiative calls on state, county, and local government to:
- enact strict punishments for DWI – First offense: SCRAM bracelet; second offense vehicle seizure
- penalties for those knowingly allow their car to be driven by a DWI offender
- mandatory forfeiture of driver’s license and penalties for incompliance
- creation of DWI license plates
- increased monitoring ofo and consequences for bars who repeatedly over-serve patrons
- create a DA Task Force on DWI
- start a countywide taxi program
- mandate TIPS-certified training for bar owners, bartenders, and servers
- the establishment of a CHEERS designated driver program providing incentives for those who chose to be designate drivers
- create a countywide safe driving program for high school students modeled on the Caiazzo Foundation
‘The best part of Marc’s free shuttle is it saves lives, the second best part is it costs the taxpayers nothing. Now we need to move forward locally and governmentally to expand on these good efforts.’